Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Light Observation #1


I was at church with my family Sunday morning where I usually fall asleep but I noticed the enchanting effect the stained glass windows made during the service. The colors brought life into the building and created a glowing and even unrealistic feeling. The lighting made me feel as if I was in a fantasized atmosphere. I do not consider myself a religious person, but the stained glass lighting made me experience a somewhat spiritual feeling. It was calming, comforting, and enlightening. The lighting made me think and appreciate all the little parts of life that hold so much beauty. 

1 comment:

  1. Grace,

    I love stained glass windows! It's interesting that you get a spiritual feeling from them, since that is exactly why they were created. Now they are primarily used for decoration, but in the very old churches they were created because most people back then couldn't read. Bono says that stained glass was the first cinema. I wholeheartedly agree because like cinema they tell stories through pictures and light. If you were a normal person back in medieval times stained glass would be one way to learn the stories that you couldn't read for yourself in the Bible. Pretty amazing stuff.

    ReplyDelete